AllWoodWork Community Forums The Rust Store for all your Rust Prevention and Removal Needs.
Home
Forums
Chat
Articles
Tips
Events
Reviews
Members
Shopping
Free Plans
Misc. Pages
Links
Free Catalog

Go Back   AllWoodWork Community Forums > Wood Worker's Forums > Turning Wood
User Name
Password
Home Page Chat Articles Links Shopping Free Plans FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Default covered cherry bowl

Here's my latest turning. Its a cherry bowl 6" wide by 2" high. the top is a peice of crotch cherry I had laying around, and the knob is walnut.

Later,
Rob
Old 01-21-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Nice work

Great job! It looks like you got a very nice finish along with the difficult fit of the top to bottom.
I like the walnut contrast, and use that often in my shop as well. I think it really sets off the rest of the piece.

Good work.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks Tom!

The finish is just paste wax. I don't why I didn't use BLO or another finish. This is only my second bowl, so I am still experimenting and learning. The top was hard to do because it started out as a 1" piece of stock and I had no way the hold it except the cole jaws. I ended it up having to use a sacrifical knob to chuck and do the top side. Like I said, I'm still figuring thngs out.

I made this for a friend at work that wants to give it to his friend for her B-day, and he is really happy with it, so that is all that matters, I guess.

Later,
Rob
Old 01-21-2004, 07:11 AM

Dang Rob!!! your rocking bud, that is cool as as, as , as. Hell aint nothing that cool.. I love the crotch lid.

Very Very Nice!!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Turning Knobs

Nice job on the cherry bowl/lid Rob.
I have found the easiest way to turn knobs is to use a mandrel.
Turn a dowl on the end of your knob stock (make it a diameter of a drill bit you have ). Place the mandrel in the headstock ,turn and finish your knob (if you are using a friction finish),remove from the mandrel leave the dowell on.
Then before removing your finished lid from the lathe, place the mandrel in the tailstock and use the bit mentioned earlier to drill a small hole the size of your dowell in the lid, this always gives you perfect center, just know how deep you can drill.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 PM

Default holding covers

To hold a cover so that you can finish the top I turn the bottom of the lid and remove the stock from the lathe. Then I turn the inside of the bowl and continually test fit the top to it. once I have a snug fit I put a piece of paper towel over the bowl top and twist the lid onto the bowl. If you are putting on a knob and will be drilling for a dowl you can slide the tailstock up to hold things secure for the bulk of the job, but if you have a good fit you an work the lid top at a low rpm nicely.