AllWoodWork Community Forums The Rust Store for all your Rust Prevention and Removal Needs.
Home
Forums
Chat
Articles
Tips
Events
Reviews
Members
Shopping
Free Plans
Misc. Pages
Links
Free Catalog

Go Back   AllWoodWork Community Forums > Gardening Forums > Greenthumb Central
User Name
Password
Home Page Chat Articles Links Shopping Free Plans FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2003, 03:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to coronet1967
Unhappy cherry trees

well this is the deal i have 2 cherry trees in my yard they are dwarf trees but this is my problem:

each year they bloom early and the blooms are frost bitten, i got 1 cherry off them last year, so the question is what can i do to either stop them from blooming early or to stop them from being frost bitten when they do bloom

jay angel
coronet1967@ yahoo.com
Old 02-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Administrator

If the trees are small enough you can trow a tarp over them at night until frost season is over. I don't think their is any way to force it to bloom later than it wants too. Around here when people think we're gonna get frost they cover up their gardens. And that works for them, so I don't see why you can't do the same with your trees. The light weight tarps from Wal-mart or Home depot should work fine. You'll just have to tie them to the tree so they don't blow off at night. Hope this helps, in theory it should work perfect.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to coronet1967

thanks,

i was thinking of using some kind of fine net or something like that but i think the tarp idea is better and i have a couple of them laying around so it will cost me no money to cover them have a good day

jay angel
Old 10-31-2004, 11:30 AM

When we were living in the Uk, we planted two cherries against a south-facing fence. But sadly they only ever sprouted about 8-10 cherries each year, which the birds promptly ate! So I think they are more of a hassle than anything if you expect a lot of fruit, but the flowers are lovely in early spring and a very welcome sight too!