AllWoodWork Community Forums The Rust Store for all your Rust Prevention and Removal Needs.
Home
Forums
Chat
Articles
Tips
Events
Reviews
Members
Shopping
Free Plans
Misc. Pages
Links
Free Catalog

Go Back   AllWoodWork Community Forums > Wood Worker's Forums > Turning Wood
User Name
Password
Home Page Chat Articles Links Shopping Free Plans FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Finally getting the hang of Hollowing

Quartlow, I already sent you this in the Private messege. But I am so proud of myself that I had to share with everyone else.

I was out in the shop the other night. I had to make some nesting bowls for my pigeons. I sharpened my tools, and freehand grinded the bowl gouge. I turned 8 5-7" diameter x 1 1/2 " deep, bowls in like 2 hours, and didn't have any catches!! The last time I try hollowing a bowl, it few accross the room, so I was really scared and nervous when I started turning the other night. But after I got going, I got some confindence, and felt good. I think the problem was with the grind I was getting with the wolverine jig/with fingernail attachment, it was leaving some nasty ears on the corners. But when I free handed it, I could roll the tool as I pushed it up the wheel, taking care of those ears.

Now the nest bowls weren't nothing fancy, (they will be covered in pigeon shit in a few days anyway), but I think I'm getting the hang of hollowing a little bit.

Now it is starting to get fun, but I need to figure something out for a toolrest for outboard turning, the extension arm that comes with the lathe, has way to much flex in it, and it feels like it will snap with a slight catch. I can only turn about 8-9" comfortably on my Jet 1236, before it starts getting close to the base.

Later,
Rob
Old 12-29-2003, 10:31 PM

Way to go Rob!!

I know how you feel about outboard turning on the jet, Thats exactly how I broke the banjo on my 1236. oh wel llive and learn, that was in the early days.

I just gave up on turning big stuff until I got a bigger lathe.

As for the wolverine, I can't help you there. I use the sorby jig. It could just be in your setup. But as long as you can grind it free hand have at it
Old 12-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Yeah the freehand don't look as pretty, but it works better for me, so far. I like using the wolverine for the roughing gouges, but for the bowl gouges I will stick to freehanding. I also like freehanding the skew chisels. For now this is what is working for me, so I will stick with it.

Later,
Rob
Old 01-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Well I finnaly got in the shop for a while today. And here my first real bowl. This is the sucker that gave me the bad catch awhile back. It has been sitting since the catch, until a bout an hour ago. It is a piece of Ash with some checks in the bottom, I finished it with just plain Miniwax paste wax.

Sorry about my pictures, I still need to set up a little lighted booth for taking pictures of projects. Thrust me the bowl looks better in person. But anyway, I took care of that miserable piece of Ash, that had me gunshy of the lathe for awhile.

Later,
Rob

Last edited by RobSmith : 08-07-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 AM

Rob
I like that bowl you made from ash. Looks nice in the picture.That bowl gouge you have trouble sharpening, what company makes it Rob.Question for you. I just started bowls last week.When you start cutting out the inside of the bowl do you start in the center and come left with each pass or go from center to left and go right back down to the center again? I wrote you how to post a picture last week and you were good enough to answer, but I think I was doing ok but when it said to put the number of my picture in, said my picture is too big. Says my picture is 1200 kb, I think and it only allows a small fraction of that. Is there a way to change the size of my pictures so I can post them? Looks like this turning forum has a few people interested. I been trying to get people to post questions on the woodworking forums but no body even replies.I think the only way to get people is to post pictures of things you make. That is why I want to know how to post pictures. Liked your pigeons. Brought back memories from my childhood. My uncle raced his birds every couple weeks. Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Hi Mitch,

Try resizing your pics down to like around 400 pix in width with the "keep poportions" set to on. and save it as Gif or Jpg. and the file size should be ok.

As far as the brand of tools, they are cheap no names i got off ebay when i started. They work ok after i got the hang of sharpening alittle bit. Unfortunatly i been busy with work and havent been in the shop in months.

Later