AllWoodWork Community Forums The Rust Store for all your Rust Prevention and Removal Needs.
Home
Forums
Chat
Articles
Tips
Events
Reviews
Members
Shopping
Free Plans
Misc. Pages
Links
Free Catalog

Go Back   AllWoodWork Community Forums > Wood Worker's Forums > General Woodworking
User Name
Password
Home Page Chat Articles Links Shopping Free Plans FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Newbie Woodworker

Angry Polyurethane Took My Stain Off

I used minwax stain about three days ago on some table legs that I sanded the old stain off of and then went to polyurethane them with minwax fast drying polyurethane as called for in the instructions. The polyurethane took the stain off. A couple of guesses: one, the stain never took to the wood b/c I only sanded the old finish off instead of stripping it or, two, my polyurethane being 2 1/2 years-ish old has broken down chemically and ate the stain. Can anyone help me?
Old 08-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

it ate the stain. The same chemicals used to thin the stains/paints will also remove them. Try to use something you spray instead of wiping/brushing on. And be sure the stain is completely dried. Just sanding should be fine. When I worked building cabinets, we would just sand off the messed up stain. Then re-stain, and then seal it... then sand with 320, and clear coat. And the wood looked like it was glass coated.

(It's kinda like nail polish, if your wife paints her nails, then later puts on a clear coat or more polish, and if you wipe them on a cloth while wet.... it will remove all the nail polish just like nail polish remover would.)